Thursday, April 30, 2009

Raw Spanish Rice, Collard Greens, and an Excited Friend!




Hello all!  I've got a couple things to talk about today including my new favorite version of Green Lemonade, a new recipe, and a non raw-foodie friend who I got excited about eating raw!!  Let's do things chronologically: 

This morning I made my Green Lemonade with a whole bunch of collard greens I had leftover from the Thai Spring Rolls.  I probably put in about 8 leaves along with 3/4 head of romaine lettuce, 2 small lemons and 2 small (locally grown!!) apples, and the result was very green, and very yummy!  

As I was drinking my green juice I was conversing online with a friend of mine the highlights include:

D: "I just don't like raw foods..."
D: "I want you to cook for me!"
H: "I will!  Seriously, those Thai rolls were so good, you would really like them!"
D: "I just got excited! Those sound right up my alley, I would like them."

That's right, I did it!  I got a skeptic actually excited about a raw recipe.  Can't wait to make it for him when he isn't on the other side of the world!  I'll be sure to follow up with his reaction at some point down the road, if only to be a punk and brag.

Lastly, I just made a new recipe!  This recipe for Raw Spanish Rice is super, super easy and quick!  Although it doesn't really taste like spanish rice it does look a lot like rice, as you can see above.  This is quite yummy, refreshing, and much lighter than standard refined carb infested spanish rice.  This recipe was inspired by another version of spanish rice in Rawsome by Brigitte Mars Enjoy!

Raw Spanish Rice
1 Jicama, peeled and "riced" in a food processor (pulse until the jicama looks rice-like)
Kernels from 2 cobs of raw corn
2 tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
Juice from 1/2 lime
Celtic sea salt to taste

Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl and serve.  This is light and refreshing but could be used as a main dish.  It would also make a good accompaniment for a Raw Fajita Salad.  If you aren't 100% raw you could also pair this with a baked sweet potato for a nice hearty meal.  

Additional ingredients you might want to try in this include 1/4 cup finely chopped red onions and/or finely chopped red bell pepper. 

Music Fix: Nothing to Say-Bedouin Soundclash

Eat Happy. : )

2 comments:

  1. Going to have to make a trip to the Farmers Market so I can get these ingredients .. Magnifico!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tried made this for lunch, light and filling! thanks for this :)

    ReplyDelete