Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Raw Pad Thai



One of my favorite dishes in the whole wide world used to be Pad Thai, a Thai dish with rice noodles, veggies, fried tofu, peanut sauce, and in many versions, shrimp and fish sauce.  With my new raw tendencies, pad thai is not really an option, it is an ill-combined dish with legumes, so thats a double whammy against the digestive system.  Plus anything fried isn't really a winner and soy products shouldn't be consumed regularly either.  All that being said, however, I wanted some thai goodness in my life so I decided to try a variation of Natalia Rose's recipe for Raw Pad Thai.  I had to make some changes based on what I had in my kitchen but the result was very yummy and satisfied my thai cravings.  It also went over well with my thai food loving mother, step-father, and best friend Kayli.  Kayli proclaimed "this is really good, I wish there were noodles under it, but that's just because I like noodles."  Success. : )


Raw Pad Thai


3 cups shredded cabbage
2 large carrots, julienned
1 large zucchini, julienned
2 cups of mung bean sprouts
1 cup of raw 'peanut' sauce (recipe below)
Crushed red pepper flakes


Toss everything together in a large bowl.  Top each serving with some extra bean sprouts and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.  


Raw "Peanut Sauce"
1 cup raw almond butter
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, whole or chopped
1/2 cup water, more or less, to thin
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 tablespoons nama shoyu soy sauce
4 teaspoons sesame oil
3 cloves garlic
a couple generous sprinkles of red pepper flakes, depending on how spicy you like it.




(Rose's recipe also calls for long thin noodle-like strips made of three young coconuts, but I have yet to master the art of preparing meals with young coconut.  She also does not include bean sprouts and throws in 1 bunch of cilantro, finely chopped.  My step-father is allergic to most nuts except almonds so we also omitted the 1/2 cup of crushed raw cashews to top each serving, I bet that would make the dish even tastier!)


Tasty music:  Can't Get High-Widespread Panic

No comments:

Post a Comment