Friday, May 22, 2009

Vanilla Almond Raw Cream Cheese

I have been doing quite a lot of messing around in the kitchen this week. I have been making an effort to make creations with what I've got in the fridge already instead of running out to the grocery store every couple days to stock up for a recipe I found.  It has been a lot of fun, and I highly recommend everyone try working with what they've got sometimes to exercise your creativity!

My mother, who impresses me everyday with how much she has learned about eating healthy, used to always get this vanilla raisin walnut cream cheese that was, I admit, incredibly tasty.  I had a bunch of almonds on hand, and after making raw cream cheese out of cashews, I decided to make my own version of the not-so-healthy one we used to enjoy.  I ended up with a very nice finished product!  The flavor is just about the same, subtle vanilla flavor and just enough sweetness, plus using the almonds definitely added a nice flavor.  The only major difference is the consistency, this is a fluffier version, almost more like ricotta cheese than cream cheese, but its nice and light.  I'm not sure what to put this spread on yet, so I've just been taking a spoonful right out of the container here and there, yum!  Give this one a try, and let me know if you think of any brilliant ways to use it!  

Vanilla Almond Cream Cheese

1 cup raw almonds

¾ cup water

1 ½ teaspoons agave nectar

¼ teaspoon sea salt

½ teaspoon vanilla extract


Blend everything together until smooth and creamy in a food processor.  Then mix in ¼ cup raisins for an extra treat, yum!


Just as a last note, I wanted to let you know that I ate a peanut butter cup ice cream concoction last night.  I know, I know, bad news for my body, and I was not feeling very fresh this morning BUT I am currently sipping some green lemonade and I am pretty sure I can actually feel it cleaning the processed dairy/sugar junk out of my cells.  Thanks green juice!!!


Music Fix: All Shook Up-Elvis....I'm in recital prep mode!

2 comments:

  1. This is great! I used a small spoonful of it on each piece or raw nori rolls I made and it was amazing. made it for a week straight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious!! Glad you made such great use out of this recipe.

    ReplyDelete