Sunday, May 24, 2009

Tahini Truffles, AKA Healthy Malt Balls

Happy Sunday Punks!  Hope you're having a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend; summer is here!!  Today I am sharing a recipe with you that I came up with while trying to make raw chocolate Halvah.  Which, to be quite honest, is something I didn't even know existed until I recently found a recipe for a raw version. 

 I've been wanting to do more with tahini, sesame seed paste, since I learned that sesame seeds are a source of complete protein. Take that meat-eaters!!  So this tasty little treat is a great source of protein and it gives you a good amount of calcium too!

In my efforts to make the raw chocolate halvah, I realized I was super low on cocoa powder, ouch!  Fortunately, however, I've decided bumps in the road like that are perfect opportunities to get creative so I started experimenting with some other ingredients until I had something worth eating!  I started adding vanilla, then threw in some coconut oil, plus the little bit of cocoa powder that I did have.  The nutty sesame flavor mixed with the chocolate, coconut, and vanilla give these little "truffles" a malted chocolate flavor that really surprised (and delighted) me.  Definitely a successful endeavor, enjoy!

 

Tahini Truffles

½ cup tahini

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

½ teaspoon coconut oil

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Process in a food processor.  Roll into small, truffle sized balls.  Chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.  You can eat them without chilling, but they are best once they are a little more solid and cool.


Music Fix: They-Jem

2 comments:

  1. Whenever I see the word "healthy" attached to any name of a dish, I get reeled in. Healthy food has been my weakness ever since I've started to go on a diet. I can't eat the stuff I wanted to eat before, just so that I can be slim. If it's healthy, then I'll go and have some by all means! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete